MOTION OF URGENT PUBLIC IMPORTANCE CONDEMNING THE ROBBERY AND KILLINGS IN ISANLU, YAGBA EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KOGI STATE.
WHEREAS the sad and shocking incident which occurred on Thursday 4, June 2020, will go down in the history as the darkest day not only to the people of Isanlu and Yagba East but the entire Okunland, Kogi West and Kogi State in general. Indeed, it was a black Thursday, the unfortunate incident where some armed robbers numbering about 25 invaded Isanlu town and simultaneously attacked the Police Station as well as First Bank with AK47 rifles and dynamites to gain access to the facilities. The attack led to the death of no fewer than 8 police officers including the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Isanlu Divisional Headquarters and 2 civilians residing in Isanlu community.
WHEREAS the coordinated attack on the community had the gunmen divide themselves into three groups for the purpose of the operation, one group took over the main road leading in and out of the town while the other two groups concentrated on the Police Division and First bank. It is shocking that a group of people with evil minds and devilish attitudes will carry out such a cruel, barbaric and animalistic action on a community known for hard work, peace and unity. Isanlu is home for all, irrespective of your ethnic or religious background and these people of diverse views and cultures have lived together in peace for decades without any form of crises.
WHEREAS Section 14(2) of Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria states that the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government and as such, government must leave no stone unturned in protecting the lives and properties of the people, no wonder His Excellency Alh Yahaya Bello ordered the security architecture in the State to fish out all the perpetrators of the satanic attacks as today some of the armed robbers have been apprehended. To this end the House and the entire people of Yagba East are full of appreciation to the Executive Governor of Kogi state for his actions and for reaching out to the immediate families of the deceased with financial assistance, this is highly commendable and appreciated.
1. The House condemns the heinous crime that lead to the death of some indigenes, law enforcement agents and call for a minute silence for the departed souls.
2. The House commiserate with the entire people of Isanlu community and Yagba East over the painful loss.
3. Call on the Kogi State Government, the Nigerian Police Force and other relevant security agencies to ensure that all the perpetrators of this nefarious and heinous crime are arrested, to face necessary prosecution and judgement.
4. The House commends the prompt intervention of the State Governor Alhaji Yahaya Bello and the high powered delegation led by the State Deputy Governor for on the spot assessment of the situation in Isanlu.
5. The House appeals to the youths of the Area to remain calm, and cooperate with the security agencies with useful information that will assist and prevent future occurrence .
6. The House calls on the Commissioner of Police to reinforce policing of our border communities in Kogi State.
I so move.
HON. JIMOH MUSA
MEMBER REP YAGBA EAST CONSTITUENCY.
DATE. —16 /6/2020———————-