Kwara: Detained land agent dies in hospital Stephen Olufemi Oni, Ilorin.

Spread the love


Controversy has ensued over the death of a 63-year-old land agent said to have been detained at the Oke Kura Correctional Facility, Ilorin, the Kwara state capital, for over four months.

A land agent is a professional who represents landowners in the sale, purchase, or management of their property. They may also be involved in negotiating deals, conducting market research, and overseeing transactions.

The land agent, said to have been detained for the past few months before his death on Friday, was said to have been involved in land deals that resulted in legal dispute with some of his clients.

It was gathered that the deceased, identified as Alhaji Taye Hussein Abubakar, was involved in the sale of a piece of land in one of the Ilorin suburbs, which later degenerated into a disagreement and legal matter.

A relation of the deceased, who spoke with journalists on the demise, accused the judiciary and the authorities of the facility of neglect.

“He was involved in land deals that resulted in court matter. Court released him on bail. But he could not appear in court on the day when he was to attend court because he was sick. So, he was picked up and detained since then, about four or five months ago. And he was not brought to court since then but abandoned. At least, he should have been given second chance. How could he have got money to repay those he was involved in the land deals if kept in prison? The judge was approached and begged to release him on bail with some sureties to stand for him but all to no avail.

“So, on Friday, we learnt he was rushed to hospital. Some said he died on the way to hospital while some others said that he died while receiving treatment. His health condition was not fine before his death and the judge knew about it”.

Also speaking, the spokesperson of the Correctional Facility in the state, Phillip Adegbulugbe, confirmed the death of the land agent, saying that he died in hospital of illness related to kidney problems.

“He was taken to General hospital, Ilorin where he died. I saw his hospital file stating the illness. He was taken to hospital on Thursday evening and reportedly died at about 8:00 am today, Friday. He didn’t die in the facility as some people were saying. I was just coming back from the hospital”.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *